I could eat an entire cereal bowl of these. They're candied almonds with spices and are sweet and salty with a tiny bit of heat. So good! I served these to my guests on Thanksgiving and they were enjoyed by all. Luckily, I had a stash of my own and I'm munching on them now. Over a week later and they are still crunchy!
|Right out of the oven, the house smells divine!|
|Dark brown sugar|
|Teaspoon of salt|
|Cinnamon, nutmeg and chipotle and a touch of granulated garlic|
|The white of one egg (save the yolk for something else or eat it...raw or cooked..whatever you're into)|
|Whip the egg white with water until frothy, with soft peaks and add in raw almonds. I keep them in a reused airtight jar :)|
|You can use different nuts! Try walnuts, pecans, cashews, peanuts etc.|
|Toss to coat|
|Pour in the sugar mixture and toss together until it's evenly distributed.|
|It should look something like this.|
|Line a tray with foil and spray with cooking spray or oil. Spread into a single layer and bake at 300F for about 30 minutes.|
Addictive Candied Almonds
To make these, you'll need...
1/3 cup dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup & 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
A (large) pinch of nutmeg
1 pound raw almonds or nut of your choice
1 egg white, room temperature
1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and mix all your dry ingredients (except for those 3 tablspoons of white sugar) making sure there are no lumps.
- Whip the egg white and water until really soft peaks form. Add nuts and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
- On a baking sheet, covered with parchment and lightly greased, spread the nuts out in a single later.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Your kitchen will smell oh, so good!
- Remove from oven, sprinkle on that sugar you saved, toss and separate nuts as they cool.
- When completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container for later, or serve in a bowl.